How much do you charge for plumbing work?

Plumbing repair and installation work is charged at £55 for the first hour and then £35 for each additional hour after that.

What if it is a really quick repair job?

I appreciate that sometimes a job might take less than half an hour (for example, changing a tap washer). In these instances a flat charge of £35 would apply and there would be no additional charge for small parts such as washers.

What happens if the job takes longer than expected?

If the job takes longer than I initially thought you will still only be charged the amount we initially agreed.

Do you charge a call out fee?

No. There is no call out fee. I also provide free quotes.

What forms of payment do you accept?

Cash, cheque, bank transfer and credit/debit card.

Will I be charged extra for paying by card?

No. There is no additional charge for paying by debit or credit card.

Do you charge extra for working evenings and weekends?

The same rate applies up to 8pm weekdays and 4pm on Saturdays. Anything after these times will be charged at twice the standard rate. I only carry out plumbing and gas on Sundays in exceptional circumstances.

How do you work out the price of the parts required for the job?

The cost of parts needed for the job will be worked out at cost + 10%. For example: if the part cost me £10 to buy you will be charged £11 for it. I do only supply good quality parts as I see cheap parts as a false economy. For example: you can get a toilet valve these days for as little as £3 but I would always strongly recommend fitting a quality £10 one!

Gas work

Are you registered to do gas work?

Yes. I am Gas Safe Registered (Registration No. 591566). Qualified to work on gas cookers, fires, boilers, and associated gas pipework.

How much do you charge to service a gas boiler or fire?

Servicing a gas boiler or fire is charged at £65 per appliance. If you have more than one appliance that need servicing during the same visit then it would be £110 for two appliances and £150 for three appliances.

How much do you charge for a Landlord Gas Safety Certificate?

To carry out a Landlord Gas Safety check is £45 for one appliance and £15 for each additional appliance at the same property.

Do you issue a certificate for the gas work you carry out?

I always issue a certificate when I carry out an appliance service, landlord safety check and any gas installation work. If it is small gas work such as capping a gas pipe then a certificate isn't necessary. However, if you requested a safety certificate in these instances I am happy to complete one at no extra cost.

Will you notify my gas work to Gas Safe Register?

New gas boiler or gas fire installation will be notified with Gas Safe Register. Subsequently they will then send you a certificate of compliance. Gas cooker installation and any service or repair work does not need notifying.

Would you fit my second-hand gas appliance?

In most instances I will not fit a second-hand or used gas appliance. Gas cookers are an exception (see section below on cookers).

Can I fit my own gas appliance and then get you to check it?

NO. You must use a Gas Safe Registered installer to carry out any gas related work.

Do you repair gas boilers and fires?

Yes I do fix gas boilers and fires.


Do you repair washing machines and dishwashers?

No I do not repair electrical appliances. However, I do install washing machines and dishwashers.

Do you re-washer dripping taps?

Yes. I carry a range of different tap washers. If your tap is a quarter turn type (ceramic disk tap gland) then I do stock some universal replacements. In some instances a part may need ordering (providing the tap make/model can be identified).

Can you reseal my bath/shower tray with silicone?

Yes. This is a job I am happy to take on.

Do you do emergency call-outs?

Yes. If you have an emergency i.e. water leak, then if possible I will attend as soon as possible.

Do you fit SureStop stoptaps?

Yes. I am a Platinum SureStop installer. Please give me a call to find out more.

I have some waterstains appearing on my ceiling can you help?

Yes. I am happy to investigate and repair the source of the leak. If access is difficult i.e. under floor boards, shower tray etc. then I have an inspection camera that can help find the problem.

gas cooker installation

Can I re-use the gas hose from my old cooker?

Cooker hoses are manufactured to last the average lifetime of a gas cooker. When I install a new gas cooker I always fit it with a new gas hose. 

Do you install second-hand gas cookers?

I appreciate that people very often take their gas cooker with them when they move home. If a used gas cooker is to be installed then a copy of the manufacturer's instructions are needed (can often be downloaded), and of course it will need to be in full and safe working order. 

Does my new gas cooker installation need notifying to Gas Safe?

No gas cookers don't need notifying to Gas Safe. However it is worth registering your new appliance with the manufacturer for warranty purposes.

Do I need a gas safety certificate for my new cooker installation?

If you are the property owner and occupant then you do not legally need a gas safety certificate. However, I always issue an appliance gas safety certificate on my installs.

If the property is rented by a tenant then a gas safety certificate (CP12) is a legal requirement to ensure that the appliance has been installed in accordance with the Gas Safety Regulations.

Do you repair gas cookers/hobs/ovens?

No I do not carry out repairs on cooking appliances.

other questions

Do you have public liability insurance?

Yes. I have £1 million of Public Liability Insurance cover.

Can I buy my own parts for you to fit?

Yes this is fine with me. However, I would urge customers to buy quality, branded products whenever possible.

Do you guarantee your work?

Yes. All my work comes with a 12 month guarantee. In the unlikely event that a problem arises due to installation, then simply get in touch and I will put it right.

What hours do you work?

As mentioned above, I work around family commitments. I am available to work between 9.30am and 3pm. I also work during the evening and at weekends. For larger jobs i.e. boiler installation, these times can be extended.

some recent questions

Do you replace electric showers?

Yes I do. For more information please read my BLOG:

'Do I need a plumber or electrician to replace my electric shower?'

Can I change my lever flush to a push button flush?

Yes you can (in most instances). Please refer to my BLOG:

LEVER or BUTTON - that is the question.

email me if you have a different question about my services

Call Derby 761721 or 07990755180